Google Ads may go here
Shopping for Food
• Major supermarket chains (like Checkers or Pick 'n Pay) are set up like American supermarkets.
• Your groceries are packed for you into plastic bags that you purchase, not in paper.
• Produce is weighed and tagged for you in the produce section, but paid for at the check-out counter.
• Purses and other sacks brought into the store are often checked in and not carried through the store (there is usually a counter with cubby-holes where your belongings are kept).
• Loaves of bread come whole but can be sliced for you at the market.
• South African supermarkets do not carry the same variety of pre-packaged foods like cake mixes, bisquick or frozen dinners.
• .You still can buy meat at the butcher, and vegetables and fruits and a greengrocer.