Google Ads may go here
Open CourseWare: Afrikaans Online for Free.
Leer Afrikaans Gratis Aanlyn.
Welkom by openlanguages.net (Afrikaans).
Ku soo dhowow openlanguages.net (Somali).
Wamkelekile kwa openlanguages.net (Xhosa).
The Units Explained
• Dr. Jacques du Plessis -- 30 years of experience teaching Afrikaans (USA) using technology. This site is your ticket to the hearts of millions of speakers in southern Africa, particularly South Africa and Namibia.
• Advice on studying:
Go to GENERAL > How to Start.
• Path options to study:
Go to GENERAL > CURRICULUM.
• News about site updates:
Go to GENERAL > ANNOUNCEMENTS .
• What about other languages? Want to see the same type of site for your language and you willing to help develop content? Click on the feedback/comments button at the bottom of the screen to explore the start of such a project. See languages in progress:
Go to GENERAL > OTHER LANGUAGES.
• Praat jy Afrikaans en jy wil uithelp? Ons verwelkom kortverhale, stories of gedigte. Wil jy help met die voorlees van inhoud? Klik op die 'feedback' skakel onder aan die bladsy om ons te kontak.
Go to GENERAL > WANT TO VOLUNTEER?
• This site is unit-based so you can focus on areas of interest or to develop a curriculum *
• General has many links about the language; it suggests ways to learn and to participate, and it gives you more context about the language.
• Pronunciation has two segments. The Specific Focus addresses particular aspects of pronunciation. The Holistic Focus teaches pronunciation with Songs, Stories, etc.
• Vocabulary offers many beginners and intermediate topics, and eventually will offer many original ways to understand and memorize the vocabulary.
• Grammar offers a prescribed path to explain the interdependent grammatical concepts.
• Culture is relatively independent with many diverse topics related to Afrikaans and Southern African cultures.
• Communication elaborates on topics to build ability in speaking, listening, reading and in writing.
*A regular site has a prescribed path. Units allow you to create your best learning path.