Open CourseWare: Afrikaans Online for Free. Leer Afrikaans Gratis Aanlyn.
Welkom by openlanguages.net (Afrikaans).
Ku soo dhowow openlanguages.net (Somali).
Wamkelekile kwa openlanguages.net (Xhosa).
The Units Explained
• Dr. Jacques du Plessis has close to 30 years of experience teaching Afrikaans in the USA, using technology to innovate the experience. This site is your ticket to the hearts of millions of speakers in southern Africa, particularly South Africa and Namibia.
• Go to GENERAL > HOW TO START to see how to get going. The discussion group "Learn-Afrikaans" on Yahoo Groups support learners on this site. Click here to visit the group. You are invited to join. You will also get advice on studying options.
• Go to GENERAL > ANNOUNCEMENTS to see what is currently being work on.
• Go to GENERAL > CURRICULUM for several mapped out paths to study with.
• Go to GENERAL > OTHER LANGUAGES. Do you speak a less commonly taught language? Would you want to see the same type of site for your language? Click on the feedback/comments button at the bottom of the screen to start the discussion.
• Go to GENERAL > WANT TO VOLUNTEER? Praat jy Afrikaans? Ons wil jou graag uitnooi om van die stories of gedigte voor te lees. Klik op die 'feedback' skakel onder aan die bladsy om ons te kontak.
• Unlike chapter-based texts that assume a best method, this learning environment is unit-based so you can focus on areas of interest or to develop a curriculum:
• General has many links about the language; it suggests ways to learn and to participate, and it gives you more context about the language.
• Pronunciation has two segments. The Specific Focus addresses particular aspects of pronunciation. The Holistic Focus teaches pronunciation with Songs, Stories, etc.
• Vocabulary offers many beginners and intermediate topics, and eventually will offer many original ways to understand and memorize the vocabulary.
• Grammar offers a prescribed path to explain the interdependent grammatical concepts.
• Culture is relatively independent with many diverse topics related to Afrikaans and Southern African cultures.
• Communication elaborates on topics to build ability in speaking, listening, reading and in writing.